GenSight is a world leading expert on Resource Management. We have developed and implemented best practice methods for resource management in leading global corporations across many industries. This experience is built into GenSight, ready to deploy and customize to your needs.
GenSight enables you to plan, execute and track the deployment of human, financial and physical resources:
- Resource Planning – Supply vs Demand
- Resource Optimization – Adjusting the portfolio to fit constrained resources
- Resource Allocation – Named resources being allocated to projects
- Time Recording – Capturing actual time (and cost) spent
The approach is modular, so you can choose to adopt any or all of the above processes. GenSight can be configured to reflect your needs for workflow around these process elements.
The resource planning methodology in GenSight enables you to manage the supply vs demand aspects of the resources required to deliver the portfolio of projects and initiatives. This is typically done at a skill type or job function level. GenSight manages information on both sides of supply and demand:
- Resource Hierarchy – The system supports a resource hierarchy, which is configured to match your organization – eg. Departmental structure, job functions, skills and locations.
- Resource Required – For each project, the system captures an estimate of the amount and type of resources required, over time. You can choose how granular you want the resource forecasts to be – eg. Weekly, monthly, quarterly etc. – and also how far ahead you want to plan.
- Resource Available – For each type of resource in the resource hierarchy, the system maintains information on capacity and availability, after allowing for other allocations, non project time etc.
- Resource Shortfall / Surplus – Where the required resources exceed capacity then the shortfall is reported and tracked, with detailed breakdowns available over time and by resource type/location.
GenSight enables you to run alternative scenarios and simulations of the portfolio in order to decide on the best set of projects to include in the portfolio. The core capability in GenSight enables you to assess different portfolio selection scenarios to maximize value and to resolve shortfall issues.
In addition, an optional module in GenSight provides advanced portfolio optimization capabilities, using genetic search and optimization algorithms.
GenSight enables you to allocate named individuals to specific roles on a project. The system makes the process easier by offering useful filters and prompts to identify suitably skilled individuals, and also provides real time information on the loading level and status of each individual resource.
Workflow processes within GenSight enable you to configure who does the resource allocation (eg. resource manager, project manager, team manager etc.) and at what stage.
Resource loading and status reports are available on demand to display the current situation in real time. Workflow can be configured so that individuals are informed by email when they are allocated to projects, with information readily available so that everyone knows what they are working on and when.
GenSight supports recording of actual time spent by project team members. All individuals assigned to projects can go into a simple time recording form in GenSight to input actual time spent per project.
Since GenSight already knows a substantial amount of information about the purpose and management of each project, the basic time recording information can be analyzed and fed into senior management dashboards that report on the balance of resource activity across the whole portfolio.
Dashboard reports on actual resource activity give you the vital feedback that closes the loop on the total “sense and respond” capability provided by GenSight. These dashboards can cover FTE allocation, costs, deviation from budget etc. – with the ability to view the breakdown of resource deployment by product, business, location, program, strategy, or any other dimension of your organization.